Tasty Keto Tamarind Chicken (Air Fryer)
This simple recipe involves only 6 ingredients and is easy to make on a busy night. I think Tamarind is underutilized in the States, so I wanted to highlight this wonderful ingredient on a keto recipe.
You can buy the chicken drum sticks and thighs already separated, but I had chicken quarters on hand so I just separated the legs from the thighs with a sharp knife. We used an air fryer for this recipe to make the skin crisp up and set it to 375F (190C) and cooked the chicken in the for 40 minutes.
Tasty Keto Tamarind ChickenCourse: MainCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Beginner
Simple to make Keto-friendly Tamarind Chicken. This recipe uses an air fryer, but you can easily use an oven or grill to make this recipe.
1 Clove of garlic, chopped
3 Tbs Tamarind concentrate
3 Tbs Bragg’s / coconut aminos
2 Tbs Cooking Oil (We use rendered fat)
1 Tbs Sriracha
1 Tbs Brown Sugar (Swerve)
- Make Chicken Marinade: Combine garlic, tamarind, aminos, cooking oil, sriracha and Swerve brown sugar.
- Prep the chicken: Cut the chicken if needed. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the chicken, not too much. The marinade will be plenty salty.
- Marinate the chicken: Combine chicken and marinade in a bag or bowl. Place in the refridgerator. We use these reusable BPA Free rubber bags, they are extremely versatile for storage. Marinate for at least 1 Hour up to 24 Hours.
- Pre-Heat the Air Fryer to 375F (190C) or Pre-Heat Oven to 425F (218C)
- Remove chicken from the bag and discard excess marinade.
- Carefully place chicken in the air frying rack or basket. My Air Fryer uses racks, I know some fryers are the basket type. If your fryer is the rack type, make sure to put the thighs above the drum sticks. The drum sticks cook faster than thighs.
- After 20 minutes in the Air Fryer, flip the chicken over. One side should be starting to cris up. Leave the chicken in the air fryer for another 20 minutes
- Oven baked: If using an oven, place chicken in a oven safe dish and evenly spread chicken pieces throughout. Youc an also use a baking sheet with racks if you have them. Place chicken in the oven and set timer to 40-45 minutes.
- Oven baked: Check the chicken after 30 minutes in the oven. You may add butter to the skin if you’d like.
- Once cooked through,165F (73C) internal temp, the chicken is ready. Let it set for 5 minutes.
Air Fryer & Chicken
I’m fairly new to the air frying game, so I’ve been cooking a lot of food in it since we started on this keto kick. Honestly, the air fryer has been a game-changer. The air fryer that I have is the PowerXL Air Fryer Pro 6 Qt with 7 in 1 Cooking Features with Rotisserie.
I chose this specific model because it had racks instead of a basket. Having a rack instead of the basket has a number of advantages, as I mentioned in the instructions above, I can place items that take longer to cook closer to the heat to prevent smaller items from burning or cooking faster.
I’ve been really enjoying using the air fryer instead of the oven. It gets up to heat much faster and ultimately cooks significantly faster as well. I have a number of countertop appliances I use to cook, for the last year my go-to was Breville Smart Convection Oven Pro 1800 W.
I’ll be doing a comparison between the PowerXL Air Fryer vs. the Breville Smart Convection Oven.