Amazing Cheesy Keto Tots (Cauliflower)
One thing I missed the most after going on keto wast the humble potato. We have tried several recipes for cauliflower tots in our quest to get that perfect crunchy texture on the outside and warm melty cheese on the inside. Here’s our recipe.
Tools You’ll Need
Amazing Cheesy Keto Tots (Cauliflower)Course: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Beginner
Cheesy tots made from cauliflower that’s actually good!? Yeah this recipe is so easy to make, with less than 10 ingredients!
4 cups cauliflower
1 cup grated paresan
1 cup grated cheese of your choice- we used mozzarella but you could also use cheddar, jack, of pepperjack
⅓ C coconut flour
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp old bay
½ tsp of garlic salt
½ tsp of pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425F (218C)
- De-stem and rough chop a head of cauliflower or Romanesco
- Rinse in a salad spinner and spin to dry
- Place the cauliflower or romanesco in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower resembles riced cauliflower. You may have to do this in batches. I found that if you put similar sized florets in and ill the food processor bowl about a quarter of the way full you can pulse it about 5-8 times and you will have the consistency you are looking for – you could also buy pre-processed cauliflower rice
- Place processed cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl- make sure you don’t have any large chunks leftover from the food processor .
- Soak a paper towel with water and place it over the glass bowl in the microwave for 2 min
- Take the cauliflower out and mix it around then place back in the microwave for 2 more minutes until cauliflower is cooked- take out of the microwave and let cool
- While the cauliflower is steaming and cooling mix the cheeses coconut flour and spices
- When the cauliflower is cooled, mix in the cheese and flour mixture and the eggs thoroughly (I suggest to whisk the eggs in a separate bowl, I did not this and I wish I had before mixing ).
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Slipmat mat
- Fill a pastry bag or ziplock bag with the tot mixture and cut a hole in the tip of the pastry bag or the bottom corner of the ziplock.
- Place the tip of the bag where you cut the hole on the slipmat and pipe out vertically keeping pressure evenly so that the tot mixture doesn’t break apart.
- Use kitchen shears to cut the tots as they come out of the bag when they are about 1 inch in length
- Alternatively, you could use a cookie scoop
- Bake in the oven for 15 min, turn the tots over then cook for another 5 min.
- Enjoy with your favorite keto sauce like ranch dressing
- We made this recipe with romanesco
Keto Cauliflower Tots Experience (Lessons Learned)
Our first go at making these tots, we used purple cauliflower from our local veggie farmer. We found the type of cauliflower didn’t have much to do with the overall texture of the tots, as much as the technique that was used to make them. Here are a few of our lessons learned.
- The cauliflower was over-processed and was a very thick paste consistency. This made it difficult to pipe and shape into tots.
- After heating the processed cauliflower, make sure you let it cool enough. We made the mistake of putting in the eggs while it was still too hot apparently and it started to ‘cook’ the eggs before we even had it in the oven.
- Evenly chopping the cauliflower with the food processor worked best to create structure when piping. You want them just small enough to create an even texture, but not too big that you can’t pipe them properly.
- We used romanesco for one batch and purple cauliflower for another. The texture and consistency made the most difference, not the type of vegetable.
We tried several batches with different texture and cauliflower sizes. We also tried air frying them (that didn’t work as well).
After 4-5 batches, we finally got the texture and taste right. The recipe above is what we used. Also, using a traditional fryer, in peanut oil might work better than baking the tots. Maybe we’ll try in a future post.
If you gave this recipe a try, let us know in the comments below!